02 January 2013

Stop Trying to Invent the Next Big Thing

Originally published at Cirillo Hooper & Company

This Thursday I will be speaking at Collaborate to Innovate (#C2IADL) on "The Next Big Thing" or more specifically, not waiting to discover 'The Next Big Thing.'

When I was involved with The Startup Club I used to rack my brains with fellow members trying to create the next Microsoft, Google or Facebook. Suffice to say many of my ideas did not make it past validation, and I was getting frustrated. So much so, that I was almost willing to give up on entrepreneurship as a career path and settle into a 9 to 5 in the accounting profession.

By the time I had finished my degree I had noticed several opportunities for massive innovation in my very own profession. I started putting ideas to paper and the rest as they say is history. I am now in the traditional business of accounting, doing some very untraditional things to gain market share and drive efficiency. Moreover, I now have an opportunity to go into other traditional businesses as a business advisor and introduce innovative new concepts.

The point I am trying to make is this: You do not need to be doing something new to be innovating. So if you're stuck trying to invent 'the next big thing', try starting with something you're already good at and innovating from there. It works for us, it works for our clients and it just might work for you.

Who knows?

While you're doing that, you may just discover 'the next big thing' along the way, except now you'll have the resources and experience to make the most of it.